When you prepare the sauce it will be an ugly brown, but it does turn into a nice glossy amber colored sauce that does not look repulsive on the plate and tastes a little spicy and sweet. Since this is cleaning out the kitchen month in April, I did not buy any chili paste because I did not have any instead I used crushed red pepper flakes for my spiciness which I think worked just fine in the dish. I also changed around the spices in the dish. I added mirin to the sauce and substituted rice vinegar for distilled white vinegar in the sauce. Both kids liked the baked sesame chicken despite Dr. Lazy Palate proclaiming that the baked sesame chicken smelled awful. He has informed me that he prefers his chemical laden Chinese takeout. I liked the dish. The baked sesame chicken satisfied my craving for cheap Chinese takeout, and I didn’t have to go grocery shopping in order to make the dish.
Ingredients (serves 6) modified from allrecipes
3/4 cup white sugar
2 tablespoons rice vinegar
2 tablespoons low sodium dark soy sauce
2 tablespoons sesame oil
1 tsp mirin (rice wine)
1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/2 cup water
2 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast meat - cubed
2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
1. Preheat an oven to 375⁰F.
2. Mix the sugar, vinegar, soy sauce, mirin, pepper flakes and garlic together in a bowl.
3. In another bowl, mix the cornstarch and water together. While stirring the first mixture, slowly add the cornstarch solution to the first mixture.
4. Place the chicken in an oven safe baking dish and pour the sauce on top of the chicken.
5. Bake the chicken for 45-50 minutes or until the baked chicken is cooked all the way through. When the chicken is cut, the juices from the chicken should run clear.
6. Serve the baked chicken over a bed of rice and sprinkle with sesame seeds on top.
Posted on full plate Thursday, Easy Recipe on Life as Mom, Recipe Swap Thursday #32, Simple Lives Thursday, Catch and Glimse #32, It's a Keeper Thursday., Saturday Swap, Potluck Sunday